[Xymon] Xymon 'data' directory

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 18:38:38 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 16:15 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Xymon 4.3.7 installed in '/home/xymon'. I notice that at the top
> level there is a directory called 'data' (along with 'acks', 'disabled',
> 'hist', 'histlogs' etc).

Actually this is within 'data', so we have '/home/xymon/data/data',
'/home/xymon/data/acks' etc.

> Can someone tell me what the 'data' directory is used for please? It is
> empty.

Checking a bit further it seems that this is used by xymon_channel and
xymon_filestore.

What I am trying to see is if it is possible for a client to send some
information to the server, but have the server simply store the
information in a file (ideally one per host per test, similar to found
in the 'data/hist' directory). The information will be similar to a
status, but will include items which I will have processed later on the
server.

I saw mention of 'usermsg' in the xymon(1) man page. Not sure if that
could be used... more checking required I think.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001