[Xymon] TIME_WAIT making client report too big

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Apr 14 13:33:06 CEST 2012

On 13-04-2012 20:48, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> I have a couple of servers that I just started monitoring. These servers
> exist to run haproxy, a load balancer. The haproxy program tends to
> leave a lot of TIME_WAIT connections in the netstat output. This is
> resulting in a client report that is too big, and I am getting false red
> alarms on procs, because it can't find the cron process.
>
> Is there any way to have specific clients filter out TIME_WAIT before
> sending in their reports? If so, can it be controlled from the server?

You can't do it on the Xymon server, because the data is truncated
before reaching the Xymon server.

But you can edit the xymonclient-<OSNAME>.sh script running on the
haproxy-server. Just change the "netstat" command and add a "| grep -v
TIME_WAIT" to filter out the time-wait entries in the netstat output.