[Xymon] Additional tests from xymon server

Ioan Damian damian.ioan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 19:10:34 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to add a test to the xymon server. This one has to reside
server-side because not it does domain checks and not all domains have an
assigned IP. Also, connectivity is not a concern here. What I'm trying to
do is add some domain in a subpage and check for changes in their
nameserver IPs. I've written a perl script that does the job and it takes
the domain name as a parameter. In practice I'm trying to replicate what
xymonnet does with the various checks like dns, http, smtp, etc.

I would have something like this hosts.cfg:

page domainchecks <H3>Domain Checks<H3>
<some IP>  <the domain name>  # noconn <my_test_name>

I did scrip this to check all domains at once but, that's not a desired
behavior because I need to xymon to treat them separately and tell me for
each if something changed or not according to my script.

I setup a test task in tasks.cfg like this:

[Environment]
        ENVFILE /var/lib/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
        NEEDS xymond
        CMD $XYMONSERVERROOT/server/ext/env.pl
        LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/ext-env.log
        INTERVAL 5m

I've set it up for some hosts to no avail:

<some ip> <hostname>  # env

It only shows up for the xymon server, which leads me to think this is more
cumbersome than I first thought. Has anyone managed to do something like
this before?

--
All I know is that I like you. I have no taste, but I like you.