[Xymon] TIME_WAIT making client report too big

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Fri Apr 13 20:48:56 CEST 2012

I have a couple of servers that I just started monitoring.  These
servers exist to run haproxy, a load balancer.  The haproxy program
tends to leave a lot of TIME_WAIT connections in the netstat output.
This is resulting in a client report that is too big, and I am getting
false red alarms on procs, because it can't find the cron process.

Is there any way to have specific clients filter out TIME_WAIT before
sending in their reports?  If so, can it be controlled from the server?
I have also been looking for ways to make haproxy clean up after itself
better, but that so far is a dead end.

The client is CentOS 6 running 4.3.7 from a package, the server is
running 4.3.0 beta using packages in the debian repository.  I know I
need to get it upgraded.  It's on my todo list, but because of the
hobbit->xymon change throughout the program, upgrading is not going to
be pretty, and I keep putting it off.

Thanks,
Shawn