[Xymon] Thought Process for Xymon Page Layout - Sanity Check

Don Kuhlman Don.Kuhlman at schawk.com
Wed Apr 4 16:57:21 CEST 2012

Hi folks. I have been modifying our xymon server host cfg file setups.  I have been moving page layouts around.  I thought I would send a note to the list to see what others are doing in their web page layouts just to have a sanity check…

Do you set up your main page to list things by OS, then by environment – like this:
Unix -  then Prod, Dev, Test, Uat, etc.
Windows – then Prod, Dev, Test, Uat, etc.

Do you also use Application groups and then arrange them by OS and environment ?
App1, Unix, Prod
App1, Unix, Dev

Or

App1, Prod
App1, Dev

Here's what I've been doing and I'm having second thoughts about the logic of doing it this way:

Main xymon page lists the following Pages

Server lists by hostname Applications Infrastructure Other Systems

Under Server lists by hostname – I have now made up UNIX-MAC and WINDOWS
Under each of these I have PROD and DEV

Under the Applications I have several business Applications -
App1
App2
App3

In each of the App1, App2, App3, I have Prod and Dev subpages

I'm creating include files for each category – like HostsApp1Prod.cfg, HostsApp1Dev.cfg, HostsApp2Prod.cfg, HostsApp2Dev.cfg, etc.
Now that I've changed it, I will probably need to create new HostsApp1ProdUnixMac.cfg, HostsApp1ProdWindows.cfg

I would like to be able to setup base rules for monitoring the Prod & Dev systems – Prod disk, mem, cpu is different than Dev disk, mem, cpu, etc.  That's why I thought breaking out by OS and then environment would make sense.

Then I want to create very specific service, process, or other monitoring for the application servers.

Does this seem like a good way to go, or am I making it too complicated by breaking everything down this way?

Thanks

Don K