[Xymon] Poll: How many are using the "dispinclude" and "netinclude" options in hosts.cfg / bb-hosts ?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Sep 29 17:34:55 CEST 2011

On Friday, 9 September 2011 09:50:48 Henrik Størner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question for all of you.
>
> xymongen and xymonnet currently reads the hosts.cfg file from disk when
> they generate the webpages or run the network tests. Ever since the
> "bbgen toolkit" days, these programs have supported an additional type
> of "include" statement in hosts.cfg / bb-hosts: "dispinclude" works like
> "include", but is recognized only by xymongen, and "netinclude" does the
> same for xymonnet.
>
> I am considering removing these options, since that would make it very
> simple to eliminate the need for xymongen and xymonnet to have access to
> the hosts.cfg file - they can just fetch it from xymond, which both of
> them need to talk to anyway.

I am not using these options, but in the very near future I probably need an
elegant way to present limited views to different users.

However, if xymond can expose sufficient information about page layouts (I
haven't investigated the "secret" fields sufficiently) then I should be able
to succeed without these features.

Regards,
Buchan