[Xymon] Multiple Alerts from a single test

Mark Mulligan MMulligan at llbean.com
Wed Sep 28 18:57:03 CEST 2011

I have a question with reguards to alerting and wonder if anyone else has a work around for this.  We use MQ to send messages between platforms and have a script ( bb-mqseries from deadcat I believe) that sends an alert to Xymon if the depth of certain queues exceeds thier thresholds.  We sometimes have several alerts for different queues at once but if the alert is already red we receive no notification that a new queue is also alerting as it only 1 test and once it turns red or yellow it becomes a manual process to monitor if anything new has alerted..  Does anyone know of a way to cause this to "realert" and go thru the alert process again or to send a new email to the team specified in the alert when a "new" red alert is sent.

The only thing I have thought of is to break down the test and send each queue that needs to monitored seperately but with the number of queues that need to be monitored it definately does not feel like a good solution as this could effectively make several screens near unreadable with the amount of test columns that would be displayed.

Thanks,
Mark Mulligan
Operations Analyst