[Xymon] Alert based on ping response time

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Sep 26 08:01:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at umdnj.edu>wrote:

> it. Is there really no way to use this data for alerting as it stands
> now? It appears as if more than 10ms in my environment represents a
> problem and that setting it at 10 would probably yield no false alarms,
> but I can see no way to turn red for any value other than a failed
> ping/dropped packets.

You could redefine FPING in xymonserver.cfg to specify the timeout value
like this:

FPING="xymonping --timeout NNN"

The down-side is that you get no distinction between a slow connection and a
broken connection.

The man page for analysis.cfg describes an example use of "DS" to override
"conn" results based on numeric comparison.  Not sure, but this might do
what you want.

Cheers
Jeremy