[Xymon] Xymon Digest, Vol 9, Issue 15

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Oct 20 06:39:35 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Yanni
<y.goudetsidis at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Jeremy
>
> The reason I am using /opt/xymon is because I thought it would be a good
> idea to keep everything related to xymon inside
> /opt so that I will not have to look into different directories when I am
> looking for any xymon files.

This is a good reason to put the _files_ into /opt/xymon/.  But URL
part of the alias/scriptalias is different.  For instance, you have
this in your ScriptAlias line:

ScriptAlias /opt/xymon/xymon-cgi/ "/opt/xymon/cgi-bin/"

This means the URL to access the CGI scripts would be
http://servername/opt/xymon/xymon-cgi/scriptname.  The "/opt/xymon"
part is not necessary, and I suspect that links within Xymon will not
use it.  Instead, you probably need to have this:

ScriptAlias /xymon-cgi/ "/opt/xymon/cgi-bin/"

In that way, the browser knows the URL path as /xymon-cgi/ but Apache
translates this to /opt/xymon/cgi-bin/.

> Please see the outputs below. I excluded the commented lines that contained
> the words 'include' and 'Alias' from the outputs.

Thanks, the comments wouldn't help.

The grep output shows no "Alias /xymon/".  The first non-comment line
in my xymon-apache.conf file defines this.  I would imagine yours
should have:

Alias /xymon/ "/opt/xymon/www/"

> Include conf.d/*.conf

This confirms that any .conf file inside the conf.d directory will
automatically get included in the config when Apache reloads.  Good.

> I will try what you suggested. I will remove the content of
> xymon-apache.conf from httpd.cond and then I will add
> an 'include' line in httpd.conf like this:
>
> Include /opt/xymon/server/etc/xymon-apache.conf

No, don't add the include directive.  After removing the configuration
entries from httpd.conf, simply copy the file into conf.d.  For
example:
  cp /opt/xymon/server/etc/xymon-apache.conf /etc/httpd/conf.d/

Don't forget to restart Apache.

Cheers
Jeremy