[Xymon] Which RRD data type?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Oct 19 02:10:58 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Nelis, Wim <Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:09 AM, Ward, Martin <Martin.Ward at colt.net> wrote:
>> > I would like to have this graphed such that I can see the difference in each 5 minute interval.
>
>> Isn't this what the COUNTER type is for?
> There is a difference between what's been asked and what COUNTER does. The latter delivers the change per unit of time, thus the difference is divided by the interval length. The former is just the difference.

Yes, a subtle difference, thanks for pointing it out.

Nevertheless, didn't the OP's requirement description suggest that he
effectively wants the number of added records in the last 5 minutes?
"That is if the value is 105 at 02:30 and 115 at 02:35 I want the
graph to show 10."  Isn't this change per unit time?  Won't a counter
give that?

Cheers
Jeremy