[Xymon] monitoring aggregated network traffic

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Sun Oct 16 17:19:43 CEST 2011

On Sunday 16 October 2011 10:34:32 Scott Pfister wrote:
> On Friday 14 October 2011, Stef Coene wrote:
> > I use this to graph the memory usage of AIX lpars running on the same
>
> hardware
>
> > box.  So I create a subdirectory 'data/rrd/pSerie1' and in the
>
> subdirectory I
>
> > create symlinks for each server running on that pSerie:
> > vmstat-server1.rrd -> ../server1/vmstat.rrd
> > vmstat-server2.rrd -> ../server2/vmstat.rrd
> > vmstat-server3.rrd -> ../server3/vmstat.rrd
>
> That's a good idea.  Do you do similar aggregation with other graph points
> on the lpars running on same hardware?  like Physical CPU?
> If so would you be willing to share those graph definitions?
I think this should be working for CPU:
[vmstat-pc-total]
   FNPATTERN vmstat-(.+).rrd
   TITLE Used Physical CPU (Stacked)
   YAXIS pc (100 = 1 CPU)
   -b 1000
   DEF:pc at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:cpu_pc:AVERAGE
   LINE1:pc at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@:STACK
   GPRINT:pc at RRDIDX@:LAST:pc \: %5.1lf%s (cur)
   GPRINT:pc at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf%s (max)
   GPRINT:pc at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf%s (min)
   GPRINT:pc at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf%s (avg)\n

I don't use this graph definitions anymore.

I created an inventory application that knows the lpars running on the pSeries
and it creates graphs by calling hobbitgraph.sh with:
hobbitraph.sh?host=server1,server2,server3&service=vmstat-pc&action=menu

The corresponding graph definition is:
[vmstat-pc-multi]
   FNPATTERN vmstat.rrd
   TITLE Used Physical CPU (Stacked)
   YAXIS pc (100 = 1 CPU)
   -b 1000
   DEF:pc at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:cpu_pc:AVERAGE
   LINE1:pc at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@:STACK
   GPRINT:pc at RRDIDX@:LAST:pc \: %5.1lf%s (cur)
   GPRINT:pc at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf%s (max)
   GPRINT:pc at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf%s (min)
   GPRINT:pc at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf%s (avg)\n

The result is the same, but you don't have to create the symlinks.
The "-multi+ is added automatically by xymon because you specify multiple
hosts.

This is the graph definition for entiled CPU capacity:
[vmstat-ec-multi]
   FNPATTERN vmstat.rrd
   TITLE Used Entitled CPU Capacity
   YAXIS ec %