[Xymon] monitoring aggregated network traffic

Scot Kreienkamp SKreien at la-z-boy.com
Fri Oct 14 21:03:19 CEST 2011

My current firewall only has 32 bit counters and they reset a few times per day, which is what got me into this problem.  I ended up writing a quick script that finds the RRD's I want to combine, grabs the last value from each of them, then sums them up.  I then set that as a target in my MRTG definition with the gauge option.  I take advantage of the logic built into MRTG and RRDTool so I don't have to worry about counter resets that way.  Looks much better now.... I actually have lines and my trends graph doesn't look like it was colored by my 3 year old.  It also works with my current graphs configuration.

Scot Kreienkamp
skreien at la-z-boy.com