[Xymon] monitoring aggregated network traffic

netz-haut - stephan seitz s.seitz at netz-haut.de
Thu Oct 13 16:44:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

is there any "usual" way, to monitor and graph the traffic of a bulk of network interfaces?
The reason is, some of our hosts are connected to iSCSI storages via multipath over two or four independent interfaces.
Since the traffic is balanced equally, every interface shows (more or less) the same amount of traffic. This leads to
very useless rrdtool graphics as there is only one multicolored thick line visible. It would be really helpful to see a graph
which shows the SUM of the particular interfaces.
I've recently tried to hack an own ifconfig script which does the calculation and adds an fake "aggr0" interface, but for some
reason, that fake interface doesn't show up. It's visible under the [ifstat] section, but i assume the rrdtool relies on some
other info.

Cheers,

Stephan