[Xymon] Handling donations (especially commercial ones)

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Oct 11 12:49:13 CEST 2011

On 11-10-2011 08:43, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> For my company, having a "license" makes the difference between it
> being "open source trash" and a "product".  Previously, it would be
> easier to get funding of $50k for a crappy product than to get
> approval to install even the most polished and widely-used open source
> offering.

I know ... corporate minds work in mysterious ways.

> With these new arrangements, I'm much more likely to get a
> corporate software licence paid for.
>
> However, what's missing is a support licence.  This makes some
> managers nervous.  My management likes to know that we have an
> official support contact point if we strike problems.  It matters
> nothing that the product is supported by a group of skilled volunteers
> far better than most commercial products in the industry.  They want
> some kind (any kind) of service level agreement, even if it's
> something like "7 day response time by email; bugs fixed on
> best-effort basis only".

Something along those lines will be part of the deal. I have discussed
it off-list with a couple of other users, and I think I can come up with
a reasonable offering - although I have to find some sort of balance
between the time I can allocate to official Xymon support and the needs
of corporate licencees. Xymon is still something I do besides my
ordinary full-time job.