[Xymon] Handling donations (especially commercial ones)

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Oct 11 08:43:23 CEST 2011

For my company, having a "license" makes the difference between it
being "open source trash" and a "product".  Previously, it would be
easier to get funding of $50k for a crappy product than to get
approval to install even the most polished and widely-used open source
offering.  With these new arrangements, I'm much more likely to get a
corporate software licence paid for.

However, what's missing is a support licence.  This makes some
managers nervous.  My management likes to know that we have an
official support contact point if we strike problems.  It matters
nothing that the product is supported by a group of skilled volunteers
far better than most commercial products in the industry.  They want
some kind (any kind) of service level agreement, even if it's
something like "7 day response time by email; bugs fixed on
best-effort basis only".

Cheers
Jeremy