[Xymon] RHEL RPM + SELinux

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Nov 29 14:58:53 CET 2011

On Sunday, 27 November 2011 15:13:00 Viliam Pucik wrote:
> For those of you interested in better RPM package

'better' than what? Have you looked at the other existing packages and repos,
and existing work, or did you just decide to duplicate it and ignore
outstanding issues (and thus create *another* set of packages which need to be
supported by an ideal future single package)?

Unfortunately, for me upgrading cleanly from hobbit 4.2.2 and xymon-4.2.3 is
an issue, for my own production systems, and for users of my packages (in a 2
distributions, and from my repo for RHEL/Centos/OEL).

> with also
> experimental SELinux support, there is rpm.patch for RHEL5/6 systems
> available at
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3437504&group_id=128058&at
> id=710490 which provides:
>
> * Fixed xymon and xymon-client init scripts based on Fedora/RHEL standards.
> * Configuration of init scripts stored in /etc/sysconfig.
> * Fixes RPM building warnings.
> * Experimental SELinux support - only know issues are not collecting
> ifconfig status and showgraph.cgi cannot send data to
> /var/lib/xymon/tmp/rrdctl.* (not sure if this is really an issue
> because graphs are correctly generated and displayed)
>
> To apply the patch and build RPMs simply download xymon 4.3.5 and
> rpm.patch from
> [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3437504&group_id=128058&a
> tid=710490 -> Attached File] and then:
>
> tar xf xymon-4.3.5.tar.gz
> cd xymon-4.3.5
> patch -p1 < ../rpm.patch
> cp rpm/* $(rpmbuild -E '%_topdir' 2>/dev/null)/SOURCES
> cd ..
> tar czf xymon-4.3.5.tar.gz xymon-4.3.5
> cp xymon-4.3.5.tar.gz $(rpmbuild -E '%_topdir' 2>/dev/null)/SOURCES
> cd $(rpmbuild -E '%_topdir' 2>/dev/null)/SOURCES
> sed -ie 's/@VER@/4.3.5/' xymon.spec
> rpmbuild -bb xymon.spec

This one would be shorter:
tar xf xymon-4.3.5.tar.gz
cd xymon-4.3.5
patch -p1 < ../rpm.patch
sed -ie 's/@VER@/4.3.5/' xymon.spec
cd ..
tar czf xymon-4.3.5.tar.gz xymon-4.3.5
rpm -ta xymon-4.3.5.tar.gz

I would prefer if we could discuss this on the -devel list, between the 3 or 4
parties that have provided packages or repos, and come to agreement, and then
I will commit fixes in svn.

Regards,
Buchan