[Xymon] ::1 suffixes in GRAPHS setting in xymonserver.cfg

Christoph Schug cs at schug.net
Wed Nov 16 11:42:29 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:34:27 +1100, Jeremy Laidman
<jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au> wrote:
> This has to do with how many data sources appear on each multi-line
> graph on the trends page.  In the example of if_load, you don't want
> all of your NIC data sources to appear on the one graph, and so the
> "::1" says to put only one on each graph.
>
> There's a bit of a description on this in the xymonserver.cfg file.
> But the ultimate documentation is the source code, specifically
> xymonrrd.c.  This indicates that the default lines per graph is 5.
> Also, between the two colons you can define "xymonpartname", but I
> can't work out where or how this is used.

Thanks for that info. I could not figure out which part of xymonserver.cfg
you are referencing to, but xymonrrd.c gave me some rough idea what's going
on.

I was hoping that this would help with me some graphing issues of a check
returning multiple NCV values which are stored to individual RRDs using the
SPLITNCV feature. After trying several things it looks to me that it is
impossible to incorporate those individual graphs under the tab of the
specific check (multiple values in one graph does not make sense in my case
because the data ranges of the each of the values are way too different to
have a readable graph in the end). So I hoped that this would at least be
possible in the trend tab but up to now I failed.

If someone has a working example regarding SPLITNCV graphing I would be
happy to hear.