[Xymon] DNS timeout not working

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu May 5 09:27:38 CEST 2011

>      Since I installed version 4.3 (previous version may have same
> issue) DNS timeout stopped working. In Task.cfg I put this line:
>
> CMD xymonnet --report --ping --checkresponse --timeout=10 --dns-timeout=15
>
> But dns-timeout didn't solve the issue.
>
> When I put a host that doesn't response to DNS, time-out is too large:
>

>       Wed May 4 16:03:59 2011 dns NOT ok
>
> Service dns on HS-755 is not OK : Service unavailable
>   Timeout
> Seconds: 178.169
>
> If I remove dns-timeout parameter DNS check time is even greater:
>
> Service dns on HS-755 is not OK : Service unavailable
>
> Timeout
>
> Seconds: 356.336

Just want to let you know that I've seen something similar, so I think
there is a bug. Haven't had the opportunity to see whether it is in
Xymon, or if it's a bug in the C-ARES DNS library handling of timeouts.

It's something I'll look into once my eyes are fully OK again, hopefully
in a couple of weeks.