[Xymon] SMTP on multiple ports

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Wed May 4 08:54:10 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, 3 May 2011 21:05:27 Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
> Can xymon smtp test on multiple ports out of the box? And if so is
> there a way to see which port is being requested?
>
> We've got a separate test defined in protocols.cfg and that works, but
> if the syntax were the same as for other network test, this should
> work also:
>
> 10.0.1.1     mailer.example.com # smtp smtp:8025
>
> However I see only one test result with no port identified.
>
> Maybe protocols.cfg is just the way to do it, but the docs imply that
> network tests can take a port as a parameter)

Yes, but that doesn't mean that you can use the same "test" twice and get
separate pages. If you just wanted to test SMTP on 8025, then smtp:8025 would
be for you.

In our case, we want to be able to separately monitor different SMTP services
(e.g. report on their availability separately) and so we have duplicate
definitions in bb-services (yes, the box testing our SMTP services is running
4.2.x).

Regards,
Buchan