[Xymon] Xymon 4.3.0 - Build RPMs

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Mar 18 07:45:42 CET 2011

----- "Francois Herbert" <F.Herbert at massey.ac.nz> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have built the rpms for rhel5 and rhel6. Had to extract the tar file
> and rpmbuild using the specfile (rpmbuild -bb) rather than build from
> tar file as the xymon.spec file gave me some errors.
> I ended up doing the following to get it building:
>
> Untar the source file.
>
> 1. Edit rpm/xymon.spec:
> a. set the version number (Version: @VER@ changed to Version: 4.3.0)
>   b. set the Source (Source: xymon- at VER@.tar.gz to Source:
> xymon-4.3.0.tar.gz)
> c. Remove the line (in the files section) %attr(644, root, root)
> %config /var/lib/xymon/www/menu/xymonmenu.css as this gives an error
> when building rpm (xymonmenu.css is not found). Not sure what impact
> this will have on the server rpm as I've only used the resulting
> xymon-client rpm that was created.
>
> 2. Put edited rpm/xymon.spec into /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> 3. Copy rpm/xymon-client.default, /rpm/xymon-client.init,
> rpm/xymon-init.d  and rpm/xymon.logrotate to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
> 4. Copy tar file (xymon-4.3.0.tar.gz) to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
> 5. cd /usr/src/redhat/  and run rpmbuild -bb SPECS/xymon.spec

Unfortunately, there are some problems with the spec file supplied. While they should not be issues for users, the resulting packages won't pass most distributions package quality checks.

So, my aim is to make a lot of the changes that are present in the RPMS I maintain for Mandriva, which I rebuild for RHEL2/3/4/5 (due to RH not backporting rpm 4.6.x. to RHEL5, I currently don't have a RHEL6 build environment).

I will try and ensure that 'rpm -ta xymon-4.3.1.tar.gz' works correctly.

However, now I have even more upgrade issues to worry about (hobbit->xymon, xymon-4.2.x->xymon-4.3.x, as well as xymon->xymon+xymon-client).

Either way, I will try and provide packages in my repo by next week.

Regards,
Buchan