[Xymon] FOLLOWUP: Script to rotate on-call tech hourly and weekly

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Mon Mar 7 05:52:09 CET 2011

On 03/02/2011 08:50 PM, Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
> A long ways back, I posted asking about how to rotate paging when
> there was a complex paging schedule, with multiple people working
> overlapping shifts.
> In addition to our hourly on-duty schedule we have weekly rotations
> for various teams on-call. We wanted to be able to tell xymon to page
> the DBA on-call or the tech ons duty this hour,
> without having to write what were becoming increasingly cumbersome rules.
>
> Well, we couldn't find anything that would do what we wanted,  so we
> ended up writing something in-house.
> (I say "we" but I mean one of our developers, who gave up some
> "innovation Friday" time and some personal evening/weekend time as
> well!)
>
> It's still in the quick-and-dirty stage, not  well-documented or
> polished enough to release as an open source tool yet, but we'd like
> to get it there.
>
> Meanwhile I wanted to share it. You're welcome to look at it and to
> use it in whole or in part,
> but please do not  formally redistribute it until we can get it into
> better shape. We just started production acceptance testing of xymon
> and this script, this week.
>
> A link from my personal account:
>
> http://www.well.com/~betsys/get-tech-on-call.pl
> http://www.well.com/~betsys/dummy_sched.xml
>
> I would very much welcome any feedback or improvements.
>
> The program takes as input an XML file containing definitions for
> people (name, email, and pager) , one or more lines for each tech in
> the weekly schedule, and a line for each of the weekly rotations. It
> outputs a list of the pager addresses for each person on duty,
> suitable for using as a mail alias file, or a list of names, OR a
> weekly schedule in csv format for ease of reading in a spreadsheet to
> check your work.

Thanks for sharing it! I have one too (that I believe I shared with the
list at the time). Would be great to compare and see if there's any way
we can improve ours (which I do have to say has been working flawlessly
for some time, so I gotta hand it to my colleague.

- --
|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | |Ryan Novosielski - Sr. Systems Programmer
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent.|IST/CST-Academic Svcs. - ADMC 450, Newark