[Xymon] How does the vmstat.rrd file get populated?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Jun 30 11:46:02 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, 29 June 2011 21:58:30 greg.shea at emc.com wrote:
> Ok, I guess I presented the question wrong.
> So if it's a standard client message shouldn't I see the RRD data if I'm
> listening in on both status and data channels on the server?

You should.

> I'm using the data from the rrd channels to feed into another product, but
> I'm not seeing vmstat from the standard client. There's an RRD file and a
> graph on the trends page showing vmstat CPU utilization but I'm not
> capturing that data in my file.

hobbitd_client will get the client data, hobbitd_client.c's
unix_vmstat_report() function pushes the vmstat data to the data channel as
$host.vmstat.

If I run 'hobbitd_client --channel=data cat' I see:

@@data#12492|1309426824.189933|127.0.0.1||tiger.ranger.dnsalias.com|vmstat
data tiger,ranger,dnsalias,com.vmstat
linux
 2  0 208308 139604  75568 694120    0    0    39    93 8291 10748 25 15 59  1
@@

Regards,
Buchan