[Xymon] Bad xymonclient-runtime.cfg perms on 4.3.3 client

Xymon User in Richmond hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Thu Jun 9 18:16:21 CEST 2011

This may help someone, or it may already be a FAQ that I didn't find.

I have a 4.3.3 client prototype running on a RHEL 5.6 platform hardened to
about 90% of the Center for Internet Security RHEL5 benchmark (customer
standard).  In /etc/default/xymon-client, XYMONSERVERS was correctly set,
but the client kept trying to connect to 127.0.0.1.  After much
head-banging, I realized that clientlaunch.log was griping about not being
unable to READ /var/run/xymonclient-runtime.cfg, which after all was being
correctly updated with the XYMSRV setting from XYMONSERVERS at every
launch.  Found that it was root:adm with 640 perms, apparently root
startup could write it but xymon child daemon could not read.  chowned to
root:xymon and all is well even after multiple restarts.

CIS umask setting for root is 0077, so it looks like whatever creates this
explicitly sets the perms.  I installed via rpm built from current
Sourceforge 4.3.3 tarball using Francois Herbert's March instructions for
fixing the broken spec file, in case that has any bearing.  I don't see
anything in the spec or init files setting perms on the file.