[xymon] Windows client

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Mon Jan 24 07:08:26 CET 2011

On 22/01/11 4:21 AM, Henrik Størner wrote:
> In <AANLkTimfVMpA=J=oZ1GY6LwgRH2pm=6bpmVk-b6NPTOL at mail.gmail.com> Vernon Everett <everett.vernon at gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Can anybody tell me the current status of Windows clients for Xymon?
>> Is BBWin still the best we have?
>> I remember seeing somebody on the list working on a new Windows client.
>> Where are we on that?
> It is working pretty well, but is still being developed very much.
> For production use,  I would probably stick with BBWin, but you are
> very welcome to try out the Xymonclient - it's available on
> Sourceforge at
> http://xymon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xymon/sandbox/WinPSClient/
>
> There has been some talk about releasing it at the same time as
> the 4.3.0 server release. I think that could be a possibility, but
> Dave Baldwin (who has done most of the development after my initial
> proof-of-concept version) has some say in this.
>

> Regards,
> Henrik

XymonPSClient is working fine for me on various 2003R2 and 2008 servers.
It hasn't been tested much on XP, Vista or Win7 so there may be issues
there.

There are still a number of issues that would ideally be resolved before
a release. Off the top of my head:
* due to Service runner used (ABC_SRVANY.EXE)  being 32-bit, when
running as a service it runs in 32-bit mode only. There may be a
workaround for this - the problem is the path mangling done by Windows
to keep the 32 and 64-bit "worlds" separate. If anyone knows of a path
to invoke the 64-bit powershell interpreter from the 32-bit world that's
what's required. I haven't looked very hard yet.
* running as a service is fragile. The runner does not monitor its child
at all, so if the powershell process died the service would still appear
to be running. A proper service runner is really required to solve both
of these. I haven't actually experienced any problems in my test
environment, but I'm uncomfortable with the current situation. At least
the client would go purple if it died I guess.
* it doesn't support external scripts yet. I was hoping that another
project Neil Franken was working on could be adapted to solve all of
these, but I'm not aware he has got it to a stage of broader
circulation. His last post to the list indicated he was changing jobs,
so not sure if he's even on the list anymore.
* a few pending feature requests/bug fixes of my own and from the list I
need to add in when I get time.

Happy to discuss all of the above.

David.

--
David Baldwin - IT Unit
Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.