Xymon mailing list change

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Feb 19 23:06:46 CET 2011

Hi!

Since it began, the Hobbit and Xymon mailing lists have been handled
using a combination of "qmail" and "ezmlm-idx" software. However,
both of these are getting rather old - and especially qmail has
been giving me some headaches when it comes to handling spam.

It also is not included as a standard package in Debian (or any other
Linux distribution, as far as I know), so packaging it up and getting
it integrated with other Debian software has been a bit of a challenge.

So I have decided to move all of the mail handling ove to Postfix
and Mailman - both of which are modern, well-maintained and flexible
solutions for e-mail and mailing lists.

The setup is working now on a new server I've been building, so I
expect the actual move to happen sometime next week. As users of
the xymon at xymon.com mailing list you should not see any real
changes - all of the current subscribers will be moved over to the
new setup. So I expect the list to keep operating as usual. The only
thing you'll notice is that you will receive a mail with a password
for the mailing-list web interface - you'll need this if you want
to unsubscribe, or if you want to switch to/from a digest mailing.

I just want this done before shipping 4.3.0, so I can put some
up-to-date instructions on how to subscribe to the list into the
docs.