[Xymon] Default Graph SIze

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 00:11:53 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Henrik Størner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:

> On 23-12-2011 23:59, Ralph Mitchell wrote:
>
>> The one day graph *would* look fine, but I kinda like the 3-day.
>>
>> The "blocky" look I'm seeing comes from RRD generating the graph using
>> the best datasource to fit the size you're asking for.  By default, the
>> first data store contains 576 points at 5 minute intervals, which covers
>> 2 days.  The second data store contains 576 point at 30 minute
>> intervals, which is 12 days.  Each of the 30-minute data points is
>> generated by averaging together 6 of the 5-minute data points.  If you
>> ask rrd to generate a 3 day graph, there are not enough points in the
>> first data store, so it uses the second store and each point on the
>> graph then covers more pixels.
>>
>> It's the same effect as zooming in on a graph.  To fix it, I've resized
>> the existing RRDs to hold 864 data points, so there will be enough
>> fine-grain data to get a decent 3-day graph.
>>

> Right, forgot to mention that I've done something similar on the
> www.xymon.com site.
>
> You can change it in "rrddefinitions.cfg", but it will not change any
> existing files - only newly created ones.

OK, thanks.  That's what I was wondering - is there anything still compiled
in?  I guess that's a "not any more".

I've thrown together a script to resize the existing RRD files, seems to
work OK.  It just gets the RRA list from "rrdtool info", then loops through
resizing one at a time.  I'd post the script, but it's at work and I'm
not...  :-)   If anyone is interested, it shouldn't take too long to
re-invent.

Ralph Mitchell