[Xymon] Max number of arguments to rrd?

Tom Moore Tom.Moore at sas.com
Sat Dec 17 22:33:14 CET 2011

After the upgrade from 4.3,0 to 4.3.7, I seem to be having a strange issue where I have 48 datapoints I am trying to create the rrd from.  It was working fine before, but now when my client sends the data it gives this error
(names changed to protect the innocent)

2011-12-17 16:23:50 RRD error updating web.rrd from xx.xx.xx.xx: /usr/local/xymon/rrd/server.com/web.rrd: found extra data on update argument: 40:0:20:0:40:0:20:0:40:0:20:0:40:0:20:0

I can’t seem to tell if this is coming from rrdtool or xymon.  Based on the rrdtool docs, there shouldn’t be any sort of limit to the number of arguments.  I have another exact monitor, that is only sending 2 datapoints, and it is graphing fine.  Just the 48 point one isn’t.

Is there a way I can see what xymon_rrd is doing?

And I just got another error for a completely different client program that gave same error
found extra data on update argument: 0:0:0:0

So I don’t think I suddenly have broken client scripts.

--
Tom Moore, RHCE
Systems Administrator ▪ SAS Solutions OnDemand
Tel: + 1 919 531 1925 ▪ tom.moore at sas.com
SAS World Headquarters
www.sas.com
SAS® … THE POWER TO KNOW®