[Xymon] Trending too many interfaces - see regex

Tim McCloskey tm at freedom.com
Thu Apr 28 06:35:27 CEST 2011

Colin,

I've not had the time, desire or opportunity to play with any of the newish RedHat releases and associated gizmos.  This said, I accept that your 'ifconfig rhevm' returns data in the same format as 'ifconfig eth0'.

Most linux interface names end with some number,  or are called 'lo'.  'rhevm' does not seem to follow that norm.  I suspect trending of rhevm might be failing for this reason.

In xymon-4.3.2/xymond/rrd/do_ifstat.c on line 22 we see the following regex:
^([a-z]+[0123456789.:]+|lo)

Remove the localhost part and it looks like this:
^([a-z]+[0123456789.:]+)

Expand that and we have:
^rhevm+[0-9.:]+

To me, that looks like rhevm by itself is not a match.  Folks who actually write the code / have a clue about GNU C regex /  can probably address this better than I.

Regards,

Tim