[Xymon] RRDtool include- or library-files not found.

Phil Crooker Phil.Crooker at orix.com.au
Mon Apr 11 01:59:29 CEST 2011

Hi Jayanta,

Xymon is not a turnkey system, it is fairly complex (though well
designed) and you will really need to learn how it works to be able to
use it. You need to be able to interpret the config and log files or you
will be constantly hitting issues, let alone be able to use its many
features.

What I suggest is to delete any installation you have (the
/usr/local/xymon, not the source stuff) and follow the documented steps
- http://xymon.org/xymon/help/install.html , in your case from where it
say to run "make install". Go slowly and understand each part before
moving on. For example, once you get it installed and running, it shows
the xymon server on the main page. Try adding one non-production host
without a client runing on it. Get some network tests working - first
the conn, then say DNS, or FTP or whatever. Try turning the service off
and see if xymon responds. Work out where the log files are, look at the
entries for that host and look at the server logs to see how the host
events are represented. Play around with the alerts subsystem and get
that working with alert times, groups, etc. Add another test host with
different services and see that it behaves as you expect. If not check
out the logs and config files and get it working correctly. Get a
feeling for how an event passes through the system. Once you are
comfortable with these network tests, try installing a client on one of
these test hosts and go through the same familiarisation process.

So the idea is to gradually build up a system that you fully
understand, then you will be able to work out what is going wrong and
you can fix it yourself. Otherwise you will just get frustrated and
won't have a viable monitoring system

regards, Phil

<BANLkTi=U7ky3FU55mxyvo+NKLBkvnT3UKQ at mail.gmail.com>, Jayanta Kundu

<Phil.Crooker at orix.com.au>wrote:

>> Hi Jayanta,
>>
>> > I need to do ./configure inside the xymon login. am i correct?
>>
>> No, not at all. The xymon account is only for the already installed
>> system, not compiling.
>>
>> It is odd that those rrd directories are not world readable, but
anyway
>> run configure and make as root.
>>
>> The rrd.sh already has /usr/local/rrdtool*   - that is enough, you
>> don't need to modify the file at all. Try running as root.
>>
>> cheers, Phil

>> <BANLkTinYhQn5wxV2B5tBSukm+qMBCGDAbA at mail.gmail.com>, Jayanta Kundu
>>  <jayantak007 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Phil,
>> >
>> > Thanks for you reply. I tryed what you mentioned in the following
>> mail. It
>> > is not working.
>> > I opened the file named "rrd.sh" which is present in the path
>> > "/home/xymon/xymon-4.2.3/build" and kept the "rrd.h" file
>> > path(/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.50/include/) and lib path
>> > (/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.50/lib/) as well.
>> > But problem is both the path we can not go via xymon login
because
>> both path
>> > belong to root privilage.
>> >
>> > I need to do ./configure inside the xymon login. am i correct?
>> >
>> > Kindly help me for this same.
>> >
>> > With Regards,
>> > Jayanta.

use