[xymon] Wants Status to change for MSGS (Log file) for Hobbit Client

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Sep 30 11:26:57 CEST 2010

On Thursday, 30 September 2010 07:11:42 L.M.J wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:09:04 -0500, Richard Quinn
>
> <richardquinn72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And  yet I cannot get the status of MSGS to go to Red for the client
>
> when I
>
> > put 'error' into /var/log/messages
>
> This was a problem to me during several months and finally, someone helped
> me out on the mailing list. You have to create a file in the Hobbit tmp/
> directory :
>   # cat ..../hobbit-monitor/client/tmp/logfetch.<HOSTNAME>.cfg
>   log:/var/log/messages:10240
>   log:/var/log/mail.log:10240
>   log:/var/log/auth.log:10240

*If* you run the client in local mode, I believe you should only need to put
the content that would otherwise go in client-local.cfg on the server in
localclient.cfg on the client. I don't think you should need to create the
logfetch file manually.

> <HOSTNAME> is the hostname of your machine (I used to do : touch
> tmp/logfetch.`hostname`.cfg). Once this file is created and filed in, you
> will see the light ;)

If you don't run the client in local mode, the client should create this file
itself, from the configuration for the client in the client-local.cfg file on
the server.

Regards,
Buchan