[xymon] difference between xymon and nagios

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 07:39:16 CEST 2010

For me, the biggest advantage of Xymon over Nagios, is the graphs.
They "just work" straight out of the box, and it's really easy to implement
new ones.
Nagios might tell you a disk is full, but cannot tell you how it got full.
Did it fill up in the last half hour, or has it taken the last 3 months to
hit the threshold?
Your reaction to these 2 very similar scenarios would be very different.

Another big advantage is the amount of additional information you can supply
on screen.

Nagios is a good tool, I will not knock it, and in the absense of Xymon, it
would probably be the next best thing for me.
However, Xymon can do more, so it is my monitoring tool of choice.

YMMV.

Regards
    Vernon