[xymon] OK to drop IE6 support in 4.3.0 ?

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:27:00 CEST 2010

Hi Henrik

>From what I can see, the current IE6 user base is down to 5.6%, and
dropping.
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp
Time for that 5.6% to wake up to reality.

I have no hard evidence for this, but I believe that most of the people on
this list are smart technical people, who understand the valid criticism and
risks of IE6, and are probably already doing their best to avoid it.

That being said, there are still a bunch of companies (my current employer
included) who still demand IE6 on the desktop because they have some
stone-age application that just don't work without the bugs in IE6.
Fortunately, there is Firefox or Portable Apps for when I end up at a client
with locked-down desktops.
I recommend it to those of you stuck with IE6. http://portableapps.com/

And of course, as mentioned by others, if Google can dump it, why not Xymon.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/188238/google_yanks_ie6_support.html

Just my $0.02

Cheers
    Vernon