[xymon] RE: xymon test dependencies

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Oct 14 11:09:19 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, 13 October 2010 19:06:08 Patrick Nixon wrote:
> Last I checked, the depends wasn't working properly and I haven't seen a
> release.

This works for me:
a.b.c.d    dnscache1.xxxx        # dns=a:www.google.com testip
depends=(dns:UPSTREAMLINK/conn)

(where UPSTREAMLINK is the name of a bb-hosts entry that has a conn check for
our next hop(s)).

If UPSTERAMLINK.conn is red, and the dns test fails, it goed clear instead of
red (well, it can be red for a brief period, so one should alert on red with
DURATION greater than the time your bbtest-net cycle actually takes - in my
case the time taken when DNS is unavailable)

If you have a case where it is not working according to the documentation,
please discuss and file a bug if necessary.

Note though that depends only works for tests run by bbtest-net, AFAIK you
can't have a network check depending on a ports (client data) check, or have
one host checked by one bbtest-net instance depend on a network test checked
by another bbtest-net instance. This is covered in the bb-hosts(5) coverage
for the 'depends' tag.

Regards,
Buchan