[xymon] split "views" is possible?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Nov 29 22:59:38 CET 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:40:43 -0600, Soporte Infraestructura Operativa y
Almacenamiento wrote:

> My team want to put separate views of the equipment monitored by xymon.
> For example get all test/data from a server on a page called HW and put
> some of the gathered data on a page called Service. I this way we want
> to put separate views of one entity.. one view which shows everything so
> is the necessary for the sysadmin and the other view (fewer columns)
> that remove the extra data and show the estricly data of a service or
> function of the server.
>
> Can be this acomplish since man pages warns against it with unexpectable
> results. (bb-hosts).

Yes, there is no problem with having hosts show up on multiple pages.
Just observe the caution that you must have all of the network tests
defined once - don't spread them across the different host definitions,
and don't repeat them on all of the host definitions.

In other words, this is OK:

page prod Production Systems
10.0.0.1 dns.foo.com # ssh dns
page test Test systems
0.0.0.0 dns.foo.com # noconn

And this is wrong:

page prod Production Systems
10.0.0.1 dns.foo.com # ssh dns
page test Test systems
10.0.0.1 dns.foo.com # ssh dns http://dns.foo.com/

Put all of the network tests on the first definition of the host, and use
IP 0.0.0.0 and "noconn" on all the other iterations of that host.