[xymon] Xymon now available on Mac OS X

Francois Claire fclaire at free.fr
Fri Nov 26 11:53:19 CET 2010

Hi Jaime,

> Maybe the ports could be named xymon-server and xymon-client, for
> minimum ambiguity.  Then "xymon" can be either nonexistent (forcing
> the would-be installer to notice the real names) or even just print
> out a warning/readme.txt.

Buchan said it might be better to have consistent naming across
platforms. Your proposal of using "xymon-server" and "xymon-client"
might also apply to other packages than the MacPorts. So RPMs and debian
packages might be adapted as well.

I don't care about the names of the packages as long as there's some
documentation to guide the users. In the case of the macports it is
specified which port is the client/server part on the wiki page:
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SetupXymonServer

And Mac users can search for xymon ports with the following command:

$ port search xymon
xymon @4.3.0.beta3 (net)
     Xymon network monitor Client

xymon-server @4.3.0-beta2 (net)
     Xymon network monitor Server

Found 2 ports.
$

Which clearly identifies which one is the client and which one the server.

As said before I don't care about the names of the packages and
therefore I don't see a problem if they change. The only thing is that
it shouldn't create myself more work. This is why I propose to people
willing to change the names to propose their own Portfile patch
(documentation is here:
http://guide.macports.org/#project.update-policies) and submit it to the
macports community. Even being the maintainer, I don't have commit
privileges so you'll need to create a trac ticket
(http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets) to get your changes
accepted by the macports commiters.

Regards,
Francois.