[xymon] Monitoring Exchange 2010 - imaps/pop3s alarms

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Fri Nov 19 09:30:32 CET 2010

On 11/18/2010 4:51 PM, Xymon User in Richmond wrote:
> Not the same thing, but I had a situation where internal web servers would
> all go red a number of times a day then go green again on the next test.
> No complaints from users, and I couldn't identify the network anomaly
> causing it, so I just use "badhttp 2:3:4" for them in bb-hosts.  They
> pretty much stay in "smiley" green, but that's better than alarms for no
> good purpose.
>
> It's "badTEST" in the manpage.

Thanks!  This will get rid of the false alarms while I work out what's
really wrong and how to fix it.  I think that'll take an extended
tcpdump followed by inspection in wireshark.  I went with:

badimaps:1:2:3 badpop3s:1:2:3

I'm still interested in knowing if anyone else has run into this already
and dealt with it at the source.  If I do manage to find a way in
Exchange to fix it, I'll post it here.

Shawn