[xymon] linux disk space issue

Tom Kauffman tommyk66 at newsguy.com
Thu Nov 4 17:55:01 CET 2010

On Thursday 04 November 2010 08:08:47 am Nordquist, Daniel wrote:
> Ok, I'm running openSuse 11.1 and I'm not finding a way to increase my
> inodes without doing something drastic like rebuilding from scratch.  Lots
> of freebsd info on the web to increase maxfiles but nothing specific for
> openSuse.
>
> Can you help?
>
> Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge, the only Linux filesystem that handles this well
is reiserfs and that's been deprecated. The only way to set the inode ratio is
at file system create/format time. So in your case, this is indeed a "do-
over'. And you will not want to set the bytes per inode up significantly on
root (/), /usr, or /tmp  - which is why I suggested /opt or /usr/local as
filesystems to run xymon.

Tom