[hobbit] red conn lights in xymon

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu May 6 09:16:25 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, 5 May 2010 23:03:34 Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> > I find compiling from source to be a considerable waste of time. In a
> > scenario where I have none of the dependencies for Xymon, that means
> > compiling each and every one of them (sometimes finding that you're
> > missing a dependency whilst trying to compile another dependency). Also,
> > you're left either putting everything in one directory, or having a
> > complicated FHS-style install where it's basically impossible to go back
> > and remove it should you want to later. Also, you're generally stuck
> > patching your own software, which is also a hassle.
> >
> > I tend to get the feeling that the "from source" people are either
> > old-fashioned (not a bad thing, just a way of doing things that perhaps
> > used to be more necessary) or must have staffing levels way above mine.
> > I certainly would say that one should know HOW to compile from source in
> > a pinch, but that it's really just not necessary on many platforms.
>
> True in many cases but installing pre-requisites and compiling Xymon is so
>  trivial, it's certainly better than using the very old packages that are
>  provided by most distros.

1)You should consider using distros that maintain their packages better
2)If you can't, you should consider whether it is more beneficial to compile
the software once, and deploy the tested package to all 200 or 1000 or more
servers, instead of having different people install the software from source
with possibly different options. This becomes more important if there are any
non-trivial changes (patches to fix minor bugs etc.)
3)Using packages also means you don't need a full toolchain on internet-facing
production servers, and means it is so much easier to do integrity checking of
sensitive files.

BTW, the packages I have at http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/ are only a
small portion of the repository we use internally ...

Regards,
Buchan