[hobbit] Sorry... I had to vent

Richard Finegold goldfndr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 22:14:37 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 06:20, Vernon Everett <everett.vernon at gmail.com> wrote:
> About 2 years ago, somebody might recall the exact date, I do not, I grabbed
> a single month's worth of mailing list, and examined every posting.
> From them, I extracted and distilled each question and useful answer into a
> Q&A document. Something along the lines of a FAQ.
[snip]
> You don't need to be a Jedi Master level to distil posts into basic Q&As.
> Anybody can do it. Even me.

A reminder: contributions/edits to the wiki text must be released
under the CC-BY-SA and GFDL licenses. So the distillation process
requires reinterpreting (if not just rewording) if the author hasn't
released the text in CC-BY-SA; see
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use for more info. Many
messages here have something like an explicit .signature that forbids
redistribution beyond the "intended recipient". Some text can be
verbatim per "fair use", but only some.

When I signed up for this list in 2005, I didn't see any notice about
contributions to the list being additionally licensed under other
licenses. Maybe that has changed over the 5 years.

I've made lots of edits to the wiki, and I'd hate to see them reverted
due to mislicensing. (is that a word?)