[hobbit] Graphs not working on individual views, but working on trends view

doctor at makelofine.org doctor at makelofine.org
Thu Mar 11 09:57:54 CET 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:46:57 +1100, David Baldwin
<david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au> wrote:
> doctor at makelofine.org wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:31:31 -0800, "Mark Stoltzfus"
>> <mark.stoltzfus at pmigroup.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, we just did a forklift upgrade from our old Hobbit servers to two
>>> brand new boxes running Xymon 4.2.3, and for the most part, it's been
>>> seemless transition.  We noticed some strange behavior, though, with
the
>>> graphs.  The graphs under disk, cpu, and memory don't show up, but
under

https://monitor.us.corp.pmigroup.com/xymon-cgi/hobbitgraph.sh?host=wal-d
>>> dbs-01.us.corp.pmigroup.com&service=disk&graph_width=576&graph_heigh

t=120&first=1&count=3&disp=wal%2dddbs%2d01%2eus%2ecorp%2epmigroup%2ecom&
>>> graph=hourly&action=selzoom
>>>
>>> Link copied from "trends" section:

https://monitor.us.corp.pmigroup.com/xymon-cgi/hobbitgraph.sh?host=wal-d
>>> dbs-01.us.corp.pmigroup.com&service=disk&graph_width=576&graph_heigh

t=120&first=1&count=3&disp=wal%2dddbs%2d01%2eus%2ecorp%2epmigroup%2ecom&
>>> nostale&color=green&graph=hourly&action=selzoom
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to what's going on?  I did find some old posts from
Henrik
>>> about troubleshooting graph generation, but the case he was dealing
with
>>> there was where the graphs wouldn't generate at all.  In this case,
the
>>> rrds are all there and the graphs are being generated, just not in all
>>> views.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I got different issue with graphs, but I think my problem should be
>> related to your comment :
>> " I did find some old posts from Henrik about troubleshooting graph
>> generation, but the case he was dealing with there was where the graphs
>> wouldn't generate at all."
>>
> It's worth checking hobbitgraph.cfg if you have added a number of your
> own custom graphs.
> The FNPATTERN operator is doing a regexp match, but in some cases the
> default pattern definition is very loose.
>
> For example, I'd added a bunch of devmon based system health check
> reporting stuff which generated file names like
> /var/lib/hobbit/rrd/HOSTNAME/temp.memory11.rrd
> These were causing the memory graph to die because it was attempting to
> query non-conformant RRDs for the particular graph. Solved by tightening
> the regexp definition as below (adding ^ in front, which means the
> filename has to start with memory, not just have it as a substring).
>
> [memory]
>         FNPATTERN ^memory.(.+).rrd
>         TITLE Memory Utilization
>
> Note that the FNPATTERN is not used when deciding if there are any RRD
> files to use to display a graph at all on the test status page. It just
> seems to glob TEST*.rrd to count the number of files to decide how many
> lines to display on the graph for TEST. This is with 4.2.3.
>
> David.

Thank you for your advices. I migrated my xymon server (and some clients)
to 4.3.0-0.beta2, without migrating (is it needed anyway ?) my rrd files.
My issue is very simple (and strange), I've 7 partitions monitored by
xymon, all are reported correctly. I've 2 graphs for 3 partitions, but
there should be a 3rd one for the 7th partition. Instead, I've a broken
link.
I've the same issue on custom tests/graphs. Many datas are graphed, but
some graphs are missing. I think there should have a way to deal with it,
in modifying how many values are on the same graph, or in correcting the
root cause. Actually I don't have any skill in C nor php, so I can't solve
it myself.
Do you think this behaviour is related to your advice (changing FNPATTERN)
?

Regards,
Damien