[hobbit] Monitoring hosts behind a load balancer

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Tue Jun 15 18:57:40 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell at gmail.com>wrote:

> I used to have some scripts that would make SOAP requests to an F5 to get
> the pools and pool member status.  I no longer have access to that system,
> but I may have a backup at home.
>
> I based my scripts on a bunch of example programs in the F5 SDK.  IIRC, I
> altered a couple of the perl scripts to output lines like:
>
>      pool1 server1 OK
>      pool1 server2 DOWN
>      etc...
>
> Then you just run around a loop reading the lines and sending BB status
> messages.
>
> As long as your F5 is checking the servers occasionally, this approach
> works OK.
>
> Ralph Mitchell
>

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Steve Holmes <sholmes42 at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings, I'm monitoring several Solaris 10 servers which are behind an
>> F5 load balancer. One of the features of the F5 is that it answers pings for
>> all of the hosts behind it, even if they are all down. Has anyone devised a
>> method of testing the servers for being alive in this context? There are no
>> other network based tests being done. Yes, all of the other tests eventually
>> go purple in Xymon, but we'd like to know that the hosts are down when that
>> happens.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve Holmes
>> ITaP/Purdue University

Thanks! I'll check with the F5 admin to see if this might be doable.
Steve

--
The test of a democracy is not the magnificence of buildings or the speed of
automobiles or the efficiency of air transportation, but rather the care

Truth never damages a cause that is just. -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
(1869-1948)