[hobbit] The time shown by hobbitsvc.cgi generated pages

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Wed Jun 2 16:09:48 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Steve Holmes <sholmes42 at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been searching the archives for this and can't even figure out what
>> to search for, really, so sorry if I missed something.
>> I'm running Xymon 4.2.3 on Solaris 10.
>> We are in the EST time zone. The pages generated by Xymon for all but the
>> detail pages which are generated by hobbitsvc.cgi have the correct time
>> displayed at the top. All pages generated by hobbitsvc.cgi as well as the
>> times shown on all of the graphs are four hours in the future (presumably
>> UTC?).
>>
>> I would like to know how to fix this little problem. Everything else (well
>> almost) is working great
>>

> Is it possible your web server started up before the system timezone was
> set??  That's the only thing that springs to  mind.  I'm fairly sure Xymon
> doesn't have a timezone builtin, so it's using the system timezone when it
> generates (most of) the pages.  The pages generated by cgi would pick up the
> timezone setting the web server was started with, I think.  You could test
> that by dropping this shell script into your servers regular cgi-bin
> directory:
>
>      #!/bin/bash
>
>      echo "Content-type: text/plain"
>      echo ""
>      date
>
> When I go to http://myserver.domain.com/cgi-bin/date,  I get back a page
> with:
>
>      Tue Jun  1 22:02:37 EDT 2010
>
> and the time now in Virginia Beach is indeed 10:02pm.
>
> Ralph Mitchell

Bingo. Thank you. All I had to do was put a .htaccess file in the
xymon/cgi-bin directory with

SetEnv TZ US/East-Indiana

restart apache, and it magically got the right time. I was just assuming
that it was something I was missing in the Xymon configuration.

Thanks again.
Steve

--
The test of a democracy is not the magnificence of buildings or the speed of
automobiles or the efficiency of air transportation, but rather the care

Truth never damages a cause that is just. -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
(1869-1948)