[xymon] add a reason of outage to a historical alert

TJ Yang tjyang2001 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 17:57:09 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:31 AM, TJ Yang <tjyang2001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to add a reason of outage to a historical alert? The
>>> alert is not present anymore but would
>>> be nice if I could add the reason going back, for recording purpose.
>>>
>> I don't think so, we are doing monthly outage report using in house
>> script with manual efforts to put in outage reason and outage impact
>> etc.
>
> while I do the submit, is it possible to share how you do it manually?

Sure.
1. we have a script run as a cron job to run at last day of each month.
2. the script scan through the data/hist/*.conn files and pick out
outage in that month.
3. generate a csv file and send it to operations team.
4. use excel to import csv file and adding outage reason and impact columns.

> can the reason be viewed from within hobbit after you add the reason?

Nope but I hope so too. programming effort is needed to achieve this goal.

>> I think your questions can be submitted as RFE here,
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=128058&atid=710491
>>
>> log it and hopefully someday someone will work on this RFE.
>
> will do
Thank your for this work.

tj