[hobbit] Input needed from all of you.

Neil Franken nfranken at theunlimitedworld.co.za
Mon Jul 5 16:49:50 CEST 2010

All valid points. Josh the current interface has no problems except that maybe skinning it is difficult. Some people might have specific needs on display resolutions, colour etc. I have a way to solve that.

Here is my idea.

A Css based liquid layout. Which depending on the size of the screen will scale up and down with ease. Removing the presentation mark-up from the HTML into a CSS making the HTML even more lightweight. In all respects this is not a rewrite of the Interface. It is a simple modification which will allow the HTML to be more portable and more lightweight without major rework. Thus no ajax,flash graphics or anything like that. The actual structure of the site i.e. link and how the site behaves will remain identical to the current site. Just a little CSS magic to make it even better.

I actually wanted to see what is the lowest resolution commonly used so we can accommodate for all. If you guys need more convincing go read about liquid layouts in CSS. The thing I liked most about Xymon is that the website interface is fast, tiny and easy to use. My mission is to make is lighter and slighty faster with more portability. Yes there might be some minor altering of the layout but nothing major(i.e getting rid of tables and replacing with div tags, menu navigation without a js script needed and so on). If we can get this site to run on CSS proper i.e. no presentation in the mark-up skinning it to your needs will be a simple matter of changing the CSS.

Questions, comments?

Regards
Neil

PS. Check out this website for more real examples on liquid layouts http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/layouts/category/C13/