Xymon client design (was Xymon is practically dead)

TJ Yang tjyang2001 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 17:27:41 CEST 2010

Hi, Tom

Hope you don't mind I changed the subject and cc to
hobbitmon-developer on this topic.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Tom Georgoulias
<tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com> wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 05:47 AM, Neil Franken wrote:
>
>> Xymon is just one part of the equation for me. I see a lot of
>> potential for Xymon in the Windows world but the BBWin client is well
>> a very quiet project as well. I am not sure yet if we would maybe
>> fork the code or create a new client. At this point I would suggest
>> that maybe we look at a Java based client for xymon so we can run on
>> a huge variety of platforms with one client. Anyway the whole client
>> is a whole different ball game.
>
> I would not be in favor of a java based client, the current design is much
> better on unix systems.  It's one of the reasons xymon works well.

I can understand why Neil has this idea, it flashed in brain before.
Why not write once and run every where ?
The idea is good but there is resources needed to convert hobbit
client into java.
Who are going to do it ?

Back to the existing hobbit client implementation.

I do have concerns about hobbitclient-OS??.sh shell script's programming style.
There is no check return status of system command it call and there is
no error handling when system command faild.
I got many purple alert when one of the system command failed or
didn't finish in time.

tj

--
T.J. Yang