Xymon Client for Windows (was Re: Xymon is practically dead)

Malcolm Hunter malcolm.hunter at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 16:51:30 CEST 2010

> >> Xymon is just one part of the equation for me. I see a lot of potential
> >> for Xymon in the Windows world but the BBWin client is well a very
> quiet
> >> project as well. I am not sure yet if we would maybe fork the code or
> create
> >> a new client. At this point I would suggest that maybe we look at a
> Java
> >> based client for xymon so we can run on a huge variety of platforms
> with one
> >> client. Anyway the whole client is a whole different ball game.
> >
> > i talked with Eric Grignon (a friend a mine) a couple weeks ago, he
> dropped
> > bbwin's development and will not go back to it.
> > -> you can consider bbwin "dead"
>
> All, hope you don't mind the long threads contain different subjects
> around "dead" xymon.
> let me know if we new to start a new thread on the subject of BBWin.
>
> Olivier,
> Thanks for the good inside information.
> No problem to  take a break or even dropping BBWin development by
> original author. All I am asking is like what we do at work.
> Submit your resignation and transfer your responsibility to next person.
>
> I was able to compile Mr. Big using cross-compiler but BBWin is still
> currently more feature complete than Mr. Big.
>
>  See my post in R1, I am hoping we can work together to come up with a
> working BBWin development machine and publish the procedure again so
> others can take over BBWin development if need to.

Don't forget the Xywin project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xywinnet/, which is using C sharp (IMO the best option for Windows).

I have a VMware dev environment for BBWin setup but it's using Visual Studio 2005 Professional. I think Eric or someone on the project was in the process of converting it to VS 2008 Express but I've not managed to compile from that part of the repository. Using the dev environment I've managed to identify and fix a few bugs but I feel the entire project needs a revamp.

Regards,

Malcolm

--
Technical copy-editor & proofreader