[hobbit] Re: [Hobbitmon-developer] Xymon is practically dead

Neil Franken nfranken at theunlimitedworld.co.za
Fri Jul 2 11:47:03 CEST 2010

Hi

At this point we will need to have some sort of meeting around the strategy going forward. I suspect this might be a little more involved as we are all in different time zones (gmt+2 here). However my gut feel is that we need to do a couple of basic things.

1) Developers need to get into the source code and assign various modules to those with the skills to develop and support it
2) Get solid documentation done on the various modules, protocols and pieces around the project.
3) Review the road map with Henrik and decide on a hit list of features(as we have a lot of people willing to help we can probably roll a lot of the work into one release).
4) Get cracking.

Xymon is just one part of the equation for me. I see a lot of potential for Xymon in the Windows world but the BBWin client is well a very quiet project as well. I am not sure yet if we would maybe fork the code or create a new client. At this point I would suggest that maybe we look at a Java based client for xymon so we can run on a huge variety of platforms with one client. Anyway the whole client is a whole different ball game.

In my previous mails I asked to have the list of people who contribute closed by Monday next week so that we can move ahead. This does not mean it is closed forever we just need to set a cut off so we can start getting the planning done.

Hope the rest agrees with me.

Regards
Neil