[hobbit] Re: [Hobbitmon-developer] Xymon is practically dead

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 06:05:32 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:16 PM, TJ Yang <tjyang2001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM, David Baldwin
> <david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au> wrote:
> taking
> covers
> that
> up
> you
> >>>

> >> How about this ?
> >>

> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Developer_Guide#Xymon_volunteers_resource_allocation
> >>
> It is renamed as
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Developer_Guide#Xymon_volunteers_Roles_and_Responsiblity
>
> >> If no objection, I will put in more effort complete the table.
> >> tj
> >>
> > Good stuff to see all this activity which is very timely in ensuring
> > that hobbit/xymon has a viable future.
> >
> > I am also keen to be involved. I've done quite a lot of custom tests
>
> I take that as a Yes. You are tagged as Volunteer in Dev area.
>
> > mostly written in perl, devmon templates, custom graphs, etc. Good
> > intentions to get an installable xymon package for MacOSX that would be
> > good to get kicked along as part of this momentum.
>
> David, I once created an OS X .pkg file from command line approach.
> But the package was just an binary untar, no package script actions
> from pre-flight,post-flight  .pkg script.
> I am hoping to work on this again with your help.
>
> tj
>
> > Occasionally I've
> > dived into the C source and diagnosed some bugs. Haven't read the doco
> > enough either - keep finding hidden gems which I expect others may have
> > missed as well.

 I've poked around a bit in the source and written a lot of checkout scripts
for web pages and other things.  Unfortunately that was mostly at my last
employer, and I may not be able to introduce Xymon to my current employer.
That will severely  any development I might do, but I can proofread docs for
spelling and grammer, if not for technical accuracy...

I've also been doing a bit of end used support in the mailing list.

Ralph Mitchell