Memory report faulty

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 10:22:17 CET 2010

Hi all

I am still trying to get to the bottom of this one, and I am determined to
fix it. For Solaris, at least. :-)

First off, for the developers out there - how is the Percentage and Used
figures determined?
The numbers I am getting do not appear in the client data anywhere.
Also, what figure does the server use for the Total?

Looking at my own issue, I have the following.

   Memory              Used       Total  Percentage
[image: red] Physical     4294963143M       8192M 4294967246%
[image: green] Swap               3506M      16383M         21%

I suspect the problem might be something to do with the reported free
memory, and the reported physical memory.
The output below comes from my client data.

[prtconf]
System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4v
Memory size: 8192 Megabytes
System Peripherals (Software Nodes):

[memory]
 0 0 0 16804936 12641392 36 247 0 101 101 0 0 5 1 0  1  886 3158  688  0  0 99
[swap]
total: 3590152k bytes allocated + 0k reserved = 3590152k used,
13187064k available

My thinking is that having 12641392k of free memory on a system with only
8192M (8388608K) leads to a division by very small or negative number,
resulting in daftness.
(This appears to only happen inside zones, where odd things abound with
regards memory and CPUs.)

This theory appears valid so far, because from time to time (when memory
usage is high) the free memory drops to below 8192M and I get sane figures -
although probably still wrong.

If I am correct, I will probably need to hack the client script a little to
more accurately reflect the total memory and the free memory. I will figure
out how to do that once somebody can confirm which numbers the server uses
to determine the Used and Percentage figures.

Regards
     Vernon