[hobbit] ignoring alarming ports

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Jan 12 15:58:42 CET 2010

On Monday, 11 January 2010 21:44:16 Gavin Leonard wrote:
> HI All, we have figured out how to get xymon monitoring snmp devices such
>  as our cisco cores...

Is it xymon (4.3 beta) that is monitoring them, or is it devmon that is
polling, and reporting the results to Xymon?

>  the problem is any port not plugged in is alarming..

By default, devmon alarms on ports that are not shut but down. Depending on
your policy on the management of network ports, either:

-disable the if_stat test, if you don't care that unshut ports are down
-shut unused ports
-alarm only on specific port types/names that are down and not shut, by using
an appropriate except option in the DEVMON tag in bb-hosts

>  is there a way to tell xymon not to monitor ports that are not being used?

I haven't investigated the native SNMP support in Xymon 4.3, the above is only
for devmon.

Regards,
Buchan